It was as if, presto- I was a newly-minted physician-in-training. Directly after, we reassembled as a class (200 medical and dental students together) and piled into a hospital auditorium to listen to two physicians present our "first" patients. One patient a very young girl with her parents who had a huge surgery to repair a birth defect, and the other was an elderly lady who had suffered many chronic diseases and furthermore was the caretaker for her ailing husband. They and the physicians discussed about the hardships of surviving and living with these diseases and the importance of the patient-physician relationship. Both had had some nasty situations involving doctors, and it drove home the point that having the technical skills in medicine simply aren't enough. The human connection is just as essential.
But when can there be too much of the touchy-feely stuff? Is it OK to cry with a patient when delivering bad news? The elderly lady and her physician made an important delineation: showing feelings is acceptable as long it never becomes the patient who is taking care of the physician.
Another sad truth is that often physicians never really understand the patient-physician relationship until they experience the other side of the coin either being patients themselves or close loved ones.
Obviously, there is an abundance of knowledge skills that we as new medical students need to learn to become good physicians, and here's to start of that terrifying/awesome journey.
To continue the memoir theme, another novel that is exceptionally pertinent is White Coat by Ellen Rothman. The subtitle happens to be "Becoming a Harvard Doctor," and it was one of three books that made me reconsider the field of medicine during my freshmen year at Ohio State. Funny how things work out like that.
1 comment:
Hi Michael--
Nice post. It's good to know that a school that turns out some of the technically highly-qualified doctors is also emphasizing the empathy side of medicine.
I have to admit that after the "global women's health" anthropology class I took last quarter, I've been a bit more leery of the medical profession. Specifically, I became interested in pregancy/ childbirth and what I saw as the increasingly pathologizing way the (American) medical field seems to treat that state of being.
I don't remember if I asked you about this or not, but something fascinating that I learned in that class was that (and correct me if I'm wrong) there exists an upper bound on the amount of pain that humans can feel (I think the study I read looked at pain from heat by holding increasingly hotter objects against the skin)-- and that means that we can create a pretty objective pain scale. Knowing this, researchers had women in labor in different countries compare the amount of pain they were in to this temperature/pain scale, and American women felt the maximum amount of pain it is possible to feel, while women in France felt less pain, and women in Sweden even less pain than that.
I'm going to try to not write a book here in your comments section, so I'll just say that I think it's an interesting look at the mind-body connection, and also some sort of commentary on the role of medicine in that connection, since each country treats pregnancy at least, differently.
And like I said, I'm glad to know that Harvard began your training with this sort of discussion!
Post a Comment